My place of work is a university, so understandably it did not produce many conservatives for me to observe and study. As a result of this woeful lack of conservatives among my acquaintances, I proceeded to search online. Of course, self-identified conservatives abound on the Internet. Reasonable and logical conservatives, though? Not so much.
Here are some things I discovered from my discussions with conservatives:
- Somehow, they manage to combine a strong opposition to abortion with an equally strong opposition to Obama's healthcare plan that is going to give health insurance to millions of kids. Until now, I have not been able to get a straightforward answer as to why they want to save the babies before they are born but are more than willing to let the babies die of treatable diseases after the babies are born.
- They believe in fiscal responsibility and a balanced budget but go into fits at the mere suggestion that some Pentagon costs could be cut to save money and reduce the national debt.
- They think that Obama is trying to impose "Big Government" on the US. They do not think, however, that Bush's Patriot Act and the way he unashamedly pushed the corporate bailouts through Congress can be qualified as authoritarian and as having anything to do with the "Big Government."
- They think that the Affirmative Action marginalizes white blue collar people but at the same time believe that the unions - which help those blue collar people fight for better working conditions - are evil. They are also opposed to unemployment benefits that in the current recession are desperately needed by blue collar workers.
- And my most recent discovery of conservative stupidity: they believe that a PhD (incidentally, translated as 'Doctor of Philosophy') in Humanities is not a "real" PhD. According to their logic, people who wrote a doctoral dissertation in philosophy should not be awarded the Doctor of Philosophy degree.
Feel free to add your own discoveries of conservative lack of logic.