Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Back from Miami

Courtesy of reader J., the first recovered post:

So I'm back from my trip to Miami, Florida. This was my first visit ever to this city, and here is the list of things I did and didn't like.


What I liked:

Civilization: restaurants, stores, bars, and coffee-shops are open until forever. I have sorely missed this kind of civilization here in Southern Illinois. People are outside all night long, walking, shopping, having fun. The city doesn't go dead after dark, unlike so many US cities.

Spanish: I love hearing Spanish being used on a massive scale. For one, it tells me that my profession will always be relevant and needed. Also, I really enjoy hearing it.

Ocean: I love the ocean. I can spend hours just looking at it. People who live in Miami are very lucky because they can enjoy it any time.

Students: there were tons of students in Miami this week who came there for the spring break. They would spend the whole night partying, dancing, screaming, and drinking themselves into oblivion. And then they would read books on the beach the next day. I even saw several students reading books on gender studies. I simply love seeing students enjoy themselves, it makes me very happy to observe them.

What I didn't like:

Airport: Our entire flight to Miami was shorter than the insane amount of time it took us to get to the place you collect your luggage, obtain the luggage, find the shuttle to take us to the hotel, and have the shuttle come out of the endlss and depressing maze of the airport. I have been to way too many airports in my life and I can say that the one in Miami is the most depressing of them all.

I've been sitting here for a while trying to think of something else I didn't like about Miami but there is nothing else. A great place, people, I totally recommend visiting it.

No comments: