Monday, September 27, 2010

Don Quijote

I just asked students in my Hispanic Civilization class how many of them have read Cervantes's Don Quijote. I was incredibly gratified to see that a full third of the students raised their hands. Everybody else had at least heard about the novel.

When I asked the same question back at Yale, only two students raised their hands. Many of them didn't even know what I was talking about.

This proves that a) Ivy League education is extremely overrated, and b) students get better and better with every new semester.

1 comment:

Richard said...

The problem with the Ivy League schools is that they are geared towards graduate studies not undergraduate work. Parents who pay mind boggling sums to send their children to do undergraduate work at Ivy League University are wasting their money. I pointed this fact out to my children when they were looking at universities to attend.
As for Don Quixote, Cervantes had a great eye for the absurd and produced a brilliant comedy out of what could have been turned into a maudlin account of faded glories. Cervantes deserve recognition beyond the world’s Spanish Departments.