Monday, September 13, 2010

What Should College Administrators Do?

Too much time has come from yet another rant from me on the subject of college administrators, but today is the perfect moment to regale my readers with yet another series of complaints.

College administrators think that they should justify their exorbitant salaries by messing with the way we teach our students, govern our departments, and conduct our research. While they are enjoying themselves by making our lives miserable, their actual administrative duties remain unattended. To give an example, my university decided to change the carpeting in the building where my department and a few others are located. This could have easily be done during the summer holidays when nobody would have been disturbed. Doing that, however, would have required somebody to arrive at the complex idea that the learning process at a university actually matters. Apparently, this thought is completely unattainable for some people.

Today, our department has been rendered completely uninhabitable by the process of carpet installation. The noise is horrible and the stench is even worse. I am teaching all three of my classes today, which means that I have to stay at work until 7:30 pm. The noise and the smell have already chased most of the professors away from the department. I feel nauseous and have a horrible headache. And it's only 10 am here. Imagine how I will feel after 8 hours of this.

I'm not asking for anything huge from the university. Our funding has been frozen for the second year in a row, so I keep buying all the supplies I need for my classes with my own money. There is no chalk in many of the classrooms, so I bring my own. I go out of my way to make sure my students get the benefit of all my technologically advanced activities, even when the classrooms I get assigned don't allow for that. I struggle with an antique computer that keeps breaking down on me and swallowing all of my class materials. Is it too much to ask at least to be able to come to my office and work in a quiet environment that doesn't stink (physically and metaphorically)?

1 comment:

Pagan Topologist said...

My University does generally do major repair and maintenance work during the summer break. Too bad it is not universal.