Thursday, May 14, 2009

Betty Friedan

I LOVE Betty Friedan. It's scary how what she said decades ago has become so relevant all over again. Here are some of my most favorite quotes from her (there are many more but I don't want to occupy the entire page with this post):

It is easier to live through someone else than to become complete yourself.

I was at a meeting two years ago in Beijing, and I passed a bunch of women who were marching in a protest. Their signs were probably saying something I wouldn't have agreed with at all. But I was so glad to see women marching. And it's happening all over the world.

Men weren't really the enemy - they were fellow victims suffering from an outmoded masculine mystique that made them feel unnecessarily inadequate when there were no bears to kill.

No woman gets an orgasm from shining the kitchen floor.

Instead of fulfilling the promise of infinite orgasmic bliss, sex in the America of the feminine mystique is becoming a strangely joyless national compulsion, if not a contemptuous mockery.

Strange new problems are being reported in the growing generations of children whose mothers were always there, driving them around, helping them with their homework - an inability to endure pain or discipline or pursue any self-sustained goal of any sort, a devastating boredom with life.

No comments: