Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Feminist Concerns (Continued)

I've been thinking about my post on feminist concerns when I realized what all these topics have in common (remember, these are the issues that appear with a daunting regularity on feminist websites). These top concerns of the today's feminists are ALL about the body.

I'm not suggesting that these body-related concerns should not be discussed. Today, for example, there is an important discussion of Eating Disorders at Feministing. It does, however, get pretty tiresome to see articles about weight every single day. A question to ask here is whether denouncing the weight hype so insistently and loudly ends up contributing to said hype.

The preponderance of discussions that concentrate on female physicality reinforces the vision of a woman as nothing more than her body. This is precisely what feminism originally opposed (Simone de Beauvoir's Second Sex is a perfect example). One of the main characteristics of a patriarchal society is a constant struggle to police and legislate female bodies. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me, though, whether my body will be policed by men or by fellow feminists.

No comments: