Saturday, May 9, 2009

This is What a Feminist Looks Like

Today I decided to continue my social experiment that consists of wearing my "This Is What a Feminist Looks Like" T-shirt in different geographical areas. I initially bought it because a friend told me that people always made nasty comments to her when she wore it. Of course, that immediately made me want to buy the shirt and provoke polemics in this way. This hasn't happened yet but I'm still hoping.

In the happy hippie town where I live right now, the strangers' reaction was extremely positive. I have never had so many women smile at me and try to make eye contact before.

In the less relaxed town I lived before, I had to discontinue wearing it because somehow it was seen as a pretext for most men to come up to me and strike a conversation (e.g. "So you are a feminist? I like feminists. Would you like to go out for dinner with me.")

Now I can't wait to try it in Missouri.

No comments: