Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy St. Valentine's!


This is what I'm giving my husband for Valentine's Day. He's giving me a trip to an Indian restaurant. I'm addicted to Indian food, but the only Indian restaurant we have in our town is really horrible. All their food is of this nasty grayish tint, which is the opposite of what Indian food should be like. It also tastes like paper. Rimi has a wonderful blog with really good recipes of Indian food. To my shame, I haven't been able to reproduce these recipes. Everything I make just turns bland for some unfathomable reason. But at least today we will drive all  the way to a real Indian restaurant. 

Valentine's Day need not be an occasion for the coupled people only. There is absolutely no need to relinquish this holiday only to them. If this is a day when love is celebrated, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating your love for yourself, your friends, your pet, your Kindle, or anything and anybody that makes you happy. One of the best Valentine's in my life was when a group of female friends and I suddenly all found ourselves single on this day and decided to celebrate. We went to a really nice place together, got a red rose each, and swapped funny stories about guys and dating.

Happy Valentine's Day, and don't forget to celebrate with the person you love the most - yourself.

10 comments:

Canukistani said...

Happy Valentine’s Day to you too. I’m taking some of my children out to dinner tonight. And if you’re alone, there’s something for everyone. Here’s a dating site for those who like to dress in fur suits or anthropomorphic animal costumes http://pounced.org/ and play fantasies involving Human-like animal characters in the kemono anime genre which are frequently called Jūjin (Japanese 獣人 or じゅうじん "therianthrope”.

Pagan Topologist said...

Do you have to drive all the way to St Louis for good Indian food?

Clarissa said...

Canukistani: you have a lot of knowledge on Japan, it seems. keep sharing it please, because I know for a fact that there are several huge Japan-lovers reading this blog.

David: Yes, exactly. The last time I had good Indian food was in Chicago. I ordered so much food that the waiter kept looking at the door to see how many more people were going to join me.

Unfortunately, I'm not a camel, so trying to stock up for the future doesn't work. :-)

Pagan Topologist said...

We are fortunate to have several good Indian reataurants in or near Newark DE. I hope you get invited to visit here sometime.

Clarissa said...

Do tell me if you hear of a conference in Hispanic literature being organized in your area.

Rimi said...

Thank you for that virtual nod, Clarissa :-) A new cuisine just takes some practise, really, and then you'll be a deft hand at it. For my part, I spice everything up with green chilli paste, but *our* kind of green chilies were only available at Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi shops in Boston. Never in supermarkets. Perhaps you're luckier?

Clarissa said...

I love Indian spices but when I'm cooking I seem to be afraid of them. I never put enough, it feels. I think cooking is like dancing. I need to get into my Hispanic persona when I dance or cook Latin American dances and food. So maybe I need to get in touch with my Indian persona. Which I expect to be a very liberating experience.

Finding good spices where I live is extremely hard. I wish I were back in Montreal where we have a huge Indian and Pakistani community.

wanderlust said...

I love how you put your friends, your pets and your kindle in the same sentence.

And yay! for Indian food! :)

Clarissa said...

Yes, I know, it feels like I'm putting down the Kindle. That's not good. :-) :-) :-)

NancyP said...

You have to go to St. Louis to get your spices. The original Indian grocery/video store is Seema's , on Page Avenue one-half mile east of Lindbergh (two to three miles west of 170). There are several other I-P grocers in town now, but I keep on going to Seema's. Jay International grocery has a wide variety of supplies for Indian/Pakistani, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, and other cuisines. Jay Int is on the "South Grand strip" between Arsenal and Utah, home to a wide variety of ethnic restaurants, small shops, etc. There are other grocers in the far western suburbs. For Chinese, Japanese, Korean restaurants and grocers and one Kosher bakery, go to the 1 mile long "Olive strip" just east of 170.