Monday, October 18, 2010

Publishers Refuse to Enter the XXI Century

When the Kindle first appeared on the market, Amazon guaranteed that all new releases will cost $9.99 or less. Then, publishers realized that digital sales were cutting into their profits from over-priced hardcover editions and started raising Kindle book prices. First it was eleven dollars, then 12, then 14. Recently, they have gone completely nuts and started charging more for a digital copy (which, mind you, you can't share with your family and friends) than you will pay for a hard copy.

On the left you can see Ken Follett's Fall of Giants (The Century Trilogy). I've been dying to read it because part of it is set in my country during the time of the revolution. So much garbage is written by English-speaking writers about that period in my country's history that I couldn't wait to see how Follett (famous for his absolutely hilarious books on medieval Europe) would approach the topic. And then I realized that the publishers were charging $19.99 for the Kindle version of the book. This, of course, is pure insanity. Kindle owners have been boycotting the book and posting one-star reviews of it on Amazon to attract the publishers' attention to the sheer idiocy of charging so much for a digital copy of the book.

Today, the price of Follett's book was lowered from $19.99 to $19.39. Obviously, the price will eventually go down a lot more. I have no doubt that in a couple of years I will be able to buy the Kindle version of the novel for as little as $7. If I am still interested, that is. It is very disheartening to observe how recalcitrant publishers are when it comes to giving up on outdated practices and embracing new technologies. One has to be completely clueless not to understand that the future of publishing lies with digital technologies. Early adopters of electronic reading devices are trend-setters in an area that will eventually overtake publishing altogether. Alienating today's Kindle owners and prospective buyers of digital books is a stupidity that, I hope, will cost these publishers dearly. Publishing houses who learn to ride this new wave of technology will end up creating customer loyalty and selling more books in all formats. Those who fail to realize that $30+ hardcovers are a thing of the past will end up going out of business. Good riddance, too.

P.S. None of this, of course, dampened my enthusiasm for my Kindle. If the publishers are idiots, the Kindle is not to blame. In the end, it will come out winning no matter what because it is that good.

11 comments:

el said...

Follett (famous for his absolutely hilarious books on medieval Europe)

Thriller genre isn't for me, but "The Pillars of the Earth" and "World Without End" were among my favorites in 2009. I especially loved political games in Pillars. Reading about monks and the main conflict being about the building of a cathedral seemed refreshingly fresh, original. Was it all 100% made up (I don't mean the plot, but the world as presented)? :( Is there a post somewhere (yours of else's) with explanation of the main mistakes? If not, could you name 1-2, please? I just loved Pillars and now turns out I could read about aliens instead and know the same about medieval Europe. A pity.

It would be nice to read such works of literature, only with correct representation of life then. Not only it's more interesting to read, if you know you are widening your horizons too, but writers sometimes would find writing easier & produce higher quality books. You don't need to create fake problems, if you know 1001 real ones. Do you know any good books with correct representation?

Clarissa said...

I loved the books too! Couldn't sleep or work until I finished both of them. :-) I'm not a medievalist, so most of the historical errors escape me (except the socks that a medieval builder supposedly changes every day :-)). But what was so funny is that the people talk and think just like we do today. Medieval women who are superpowerful and assertive, start their own businesses, and refuse to get married for fear it would curtail their freedom. Religion that is treated as an afterthought even by a high-ranking priest. The spirit of the times is simply not there. The novels are about modern-day people transported back to the Middle Ages. I fully expected them to whip out their BlackBerrys at any moment. :-)

This is the reason why I never ever ever read historical fiction. Follett is an exception because he is so entertaining.

el said...

Forgot to mention, I got interested, but then disappointed because of this review (some spoilers)
http://www.amazon.com/review/REYHAZPRPYD6/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0525951652&nodeID=283155&tag=&linkCode=

Since we haven't paid very much attention (as far as I remember) at Israeli school history lessons to what happened at that period in Europe I would love to learn more through books (easier to remember in the long run too). Would love to hear your opinion how close the book is to reality. (And would be grateful, if you recommended any interesting, true to life books about those times and Russian revolution, USSR, etc.)

Don't you have a public library near your home or university? If I am unsure whether the book is good or not, I prefer to lend it. Both for free and doesn't take place & gather dust at home. (I know with Kindle it's only the 1st disadvantage).

Anonymous said...

I'd love to read your review of Fall of Giants too!!!

Maybe you can get it from the library?

Clarissa said...

Thank you, guys, for your interest in my reviews. Now I will have to get a copy of the book one way or another. :-)

"And would be grateful, if you recommended any interesting, true to life books about those times and Russian revolution, USSR, etc."

-By English-speaking writers, you mean? I wish I knew any, to be honest.

el said...

This is the reason why I never ever ever read historical fiction. Follett is an exception because he is so entertaining.

Love historical fiction and since I have recently got the desire to read high-quality one solved the problem by reading autobiographies. For years thought they're boring, finally fixed that mistake.

Just today I stumbled upon used books' sale and bought "Memoires of a dutiful daughter" by Simone de Beauvoir. The Second Sex, at least, I hope is true to historical realities, right? In case you're interested, from the cover:

the book… carefully takes the years between 13 and 17 to pieces… To the severely brought-up girl, whose letters were opened, whose reading was censored, and who had to fight for knowledge inch by inch, it seemed that both her parents were punishing her for their own failure, or the failure of the gloomy code they lived by… She is out to expose self-mutilating and stupid aspects of bourgeois niceness

Decided to quote since it seems like the book to your liking and it almost certainly is at the university library.

Other good historical fiction (autobiographies) :

Azar Nafisi's books and "Journey from the Land of No" by Roya Hakakian about the same period, but from pov of Jewish girl in Iran before and after the revolution.

You have read "Reading Lolita in Tehran", right?

Because of Israeli security situation I was especially interested in "Son of Hamas" by Mosab Hassan Yousef.

The latter you've surely read Лариса Миллер "Золотая Симфония"

el said...

-By English-speaking writers, you mean? I wish I knew any, to be honest.

Why English? My mother tongue is Russian too. I meant Russian. :)

Clarissa said...

"Why English? My mother tongue is Russian too. I meant Russian. :)"

-:-) I know, I just think I remembered you asking for recommendations of English-speaking writers. In what concerns Russian language authors, I suspect you are a lot more knowledgeable on them than I am.

I loved "Reading Lolita in Tehran" but I never heard of Лариса Миллер "Золотая Симфония". Now I'll check it out.

As I always say, my readers are the most intelligent, curious and educated of all blog readers anywhere. :-)

el said...

If you loved "Reading Lolita in Tehran", check "Journey from the Land of No". It's different, but very good too and showed me in a couple of sentences how "good" was Jews' position at its best before the revolution.

In what concerns Russian language authors, I suspect you are a lot more knowledgeable on them than I am.

Not al all. We went to Israel, when I was 13, you graduated there. Besides, I don't have your knowledge of history, so can't judge how true a writer is or isn't. I meant a couple of your favorite books or writers.

Clarissa said...

Stupid Blogger is malfunctioning and keeps eating my comments.

For the 20ies, I'd recommend Вера Кетлинская whose novel "Мужество" is available in open access at aldebaran.ru. She is very ideological but her descriptions of sexual mores in those times are very enlightening.

For the post-war period, I love Дудинцев "Белые одежды" and Солженицын "В круге первом." Great, beautifully structured novels.

Izgad said...

In regards to Follett goofs, there are the witch trials in fourteenth century England. Witch trials do not reach England until the sixteenth century.