Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Recipe for Female Subjection

Of course, I heard of Christine O'Donnell but I never saw her or paid any real attention to what was going on with her. Nobody can keep track of every crazy teabagger out there. Yesterday, though, I accidentally caught part of her election debate on television. Watching this person, next to whom Sarah Palin looks like a Nobel Prize winner, I realized that the Christian fundamentalists in this country have found the perfect way to keep women in subjection.

Telling women to stay at home, mind the babies, and serve the husbands doesn't work as well any more as it used to. So the Republicans came up with this great ploy where they find the most ignorant, bumbling, ridiculous women this country has ever produced and push them to run for office and spend as much time as possible in the public sphere. Then, they can point at them and say, "We told you that a woman is incapable of fulfilling any serious duties. Weren't we right when we said that a woman's place is in the home, not in a responsible job?" Inundating the public sphere with pathetically incompetenet women is the new recipe for female subjection that the American conservatives have come up with. I'm afraid this strategy will be wildly successful because it plays so perfectly into many people's terror of female liberation.

3 comments:

Pagan Topologist said...

I was teaching a geometry class during the debate you mention, or I would probably have attended it. I hope my fellow Delawareans are not going to elect O'Donnell.

My fear is becoming, however, that some of the candidates like her will win election. Sharron Angle, maybe? (Or is it Sharon?)

NancyP said...

O'Donnell is a "none of the above" protest candidate for people who don't care about actual policy or competency.

Lindsay said...

"Watching [Christine O'Donnell], ... I realized that the Christian fundamentalists in this country have found the perfect way to keep women in subjection."

Ha! I never thought of that before, but it's as good an explanation as any for the Republican party's embrace of these unintentional comedians.