Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Walking

Today  I walked 9,5 miles. Which is 15,2 kilometers. This is quite a feat in an area where there are no sidewalks and the residential area around my house is filled with nasty, aggressive dogs whom their owners allow to roam around unsupervised and attack innocent passersby. I love walking, but finding places to walk in our town is very hard. I would so love to walk everywhere but there are just highways and more highways everywhere. As a result I end up walking in circles around my house like a crazed Energizer bunny. Thank God for the Kindle that allows me to listen to books while I walk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm under the impression that the States is a rather carcentric country. If you don't own a car you're nobody, as you say even to walk you need a car to drive you to a place where you can walk.

Come to you Europe! Not that things are perfect here. The best hiking paths are still accessible just by car but for taking the walk of the day you won't have any problem.

Anonymous said...

AGGRESSIVE DOGS! I have the same problem in rural NY state. I cannot walk one block without being attacked by unleashed dogs. The only secure place to walk around in on campus. Now you can imagine how problematic that is when you walk with your baby.

There should be a law...

Ol.

Kira said...

The issue of aggressive dogs is also relevant for Moscow. I often see them in the park near my house.
Perhaps they had owners a long time before , but now they are quite a wild beast and looks like a wolf.

Pagan Topologist said...

Can't you walk on your campus? It would seem to be the best option.

Clarissa said...

Yes, that works, but I'm only on campus two days a week and the walking has to be daily. When I teach, I walk 4 miles in my classrooms. :-)