Saturday, February 5, 2011

What I Find Very Annoying About Myself. . .

. . . is that I read very fast in Russian. Like 100 pages per hour fast. And that's if I try on purpose to go slower. I just bought this two-volume novel, which I was hoping to make last for at least three days, but no such luck. I'm almost done already. I miss reading in Russian but finding anything good to read is next to impossible. Russian literature died a slow and painful death a while ago, and I read all the classics already. Even if you do find a book you'd want to read in that language, you have to wait for it to cross the ocean and appear in North America. And then, of course, it costs a lot more than most North American books. (The Kindle does not support the cyrillic alphabet yet, unfortunately.) So it's really annoying that when I finally get a book I want to read and then gulp it down in a few hours.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russian literature died a slow and painful death ? No, not even had had to be ill or even got a cold. it is MUuuuuuCH cheaper than any North American
http://www.ruskniga.com/default.asp/initcode/newsearch

Clarissa said...

When I said that Russian literature died I wasn't referring to book prices. I was talking about the fact that nothing worth reading is being published any more.

Anonymous said...

I did not reffered to price either. I linked one of the best modern--Vladimir Sorokin and mentioned that price is good. Sorry--it must be : Russian literature is in all her health and glory even through the dark years, and the traditions are alive, and BTW--it is cheaper,muuuuuuuuuuuch cheaper than....etc.
yuriy Mamleev,Vladimir Sorokin,Dmitry Danilov,Boris Akunin and many many--and the best traditions of Dostoevsky and Gogol etc etc.are alive as well.

Anonymous said...

Clarissa, it was a treat to know that you read Russian literature.
Take a look at facebook of one of the best Dmitry Danilov--he is wonderful, next,post-sorokin generation.

Anonymous said...

AAahhh spelling and grammar --referring etc sorry.

Clarissa said...

No need to worry about typos.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out Danilov!

Anonymous said...

http://www.facebook.com/dmitry.danilov#!/ddanilov