Thursday, March 17, 2011

Netflix Helps Grading

I'm beyond happy that Netflix now offers very cheap unlimited streaming of old videos. I have a humongous stack of papers to grade this weekend but it always feels like a complete waste of time just to grade and do nothing else. If I have the capacity to do two things at the same time, I have to use it.

So now I'm watching all seasons of Buffy from the beginning while grading. Buffy is perfect for inspiring one to tackle that scary pile of ungraded papers bravely.

6 comments:

Rimi said...

God, I love Buffy! I began to get a little tight-lipped when the show went through a phase of elevating 'humanity' over the monstrosity of, say, Spike, in terms I thought were very close to white supremacy/racism model, and I thought Angel a damp squib, but all in all, I love that show.

Clarissa said...

Damp squib describes him perfectly. He became even more so in that spin off called "Angel."

Rimi said...

Yes, and to established the 'depth' of his character they had him read Proust. I ask you!

Btw, unrelated, but since you're taking an interest in Japan, this might be interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sakN2hSVxA&feature=player_embedded#at=122

Spanish prof said...

I think the episode right after Buffy's mother dies is one of the best I've seen in TV. Their use of silence (as to show how it is impossible to say anything meaningful in those circumstances), was masterful.

J. said...

(to Spanish Prof)
...and in the episode "Hush," as well--and such an enormous contrast between the two episodes...

Clarissa, why am I not surprised you love Buffy? :-)
--J.
(who found out today she was accepted--with funding--to her doctoral program:-)

Pagan Topologist said...

Wow. I cannot grade and do anything else. Grading requires such careful reading and rereading that it would be hopelss.