Monday, March 14, 2011

Reasons to Hate Me

It seems like some people would use any reason to hate a person. Especially when that person is me. I just discovered a post by a blogger who rants against me because I recently wrote that I have no idea who Charlie Sheen is. In that blogger's eye, not knowing every minor TV actor in the US makes me immature. (Once again, I'm not giving links to anti-Clarissa bloggers because I have no interest in promoting their boring blogs.) Immediately, a little chorus of commenters lamenting the immaturity of somebody who isn't aware of Charlie Sheen was formed on that blog.

Apparently, there are people out there who believe that those of us who dedicate our lives to reading, doing research, teaching, learning languages, and blogging about serious issues are the immature ones. The fans of Charlie Sheen and of the other untalented minor celebrities of the American television are, however, the responsible, intellectual adults. It's like such people are trying to make themselves look idiotic on purpose.

12 comments:

Izgad said...

Platoon is a Charlie Sheen movie worth watching.

Tim said...

Clarissa, I wouldn't even bother writing about them. All you do is giving them feedback and that is what they crave so much.

@Izgad
Charlie Sheen played in Platoon ? I had no idea :)

Clarissa said...

I couldn't conceal something this funny from my readers, though. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's absurd. And it is funny.

fairykarma said...

Haha. Now you know how I feel when you literary types prod me constantly because I haven't read Infinite Jest or Camus or whatever the kids are reading these days.

Still, you've made me really curious about that blog, because it appears they would share similar interests as you if they were to even mentioned you in their posts, yet that Charlie Sheen was where you lost them. That sounds so ridiculous, it needs witnessing!

beautype said...

Brief note: Sheen is not exactly a "minor TV actor;" he was considered a Hollywood icon at one time; though his star has obviously passed.

These "other bloggers" are actually voicing their own insecurity about the notion that their world isn't seen as relevant by someone like you.

Mature vs. immature needs some sort of definition to be useful as anything more than a stand-in for "person I don't like."

Erika said...

This is really sad, actually. It seems similar to an "I don't like you just because I don't agree with you" kind of thing.

It's also a good thing that you don't know who Charlie Sheen is, spare yourself. He's simply a crazy, misogynistic guy with the self-control of a tiger on steroids. Who also enjoys threatening to kill his many girlfriends. Great guy, I know.

The people who were hating on you were just plain ignorant and obviously jealous that you're significantly more intelligent than them. Don't worry about it.

Shedding Khawatir said...

I didn't know who he was either until his recent antics hit the news. I can't say learning who he was added anything interesting to my life.

Clarissa said...

Some people are incapable of recognizing that not everybody was born in the US and is interested in American pop culture.

J. said...

My favorite Sheen role ever, especially in light of current events, is his brief moment near the end of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." One of the most iconic Chicago films of all time, second only to The Blues Brothers.

Izgad said...

Yes Sheen actually plays a likable guy busted for dope. Funny how that character was not all high and mighty about how it was the world that had a problem and not him. :p

Lindsay said...

Ha! That is odd. It's even odder, to me, that they'd call you immature, of all things, for not being good at the Name That Celebrity game --- out of touch, clueless, square I could see, but not immature!

I am more used to seeing people use their pop-culture ignorance to brag about how smart, mature and deep-thinking they are ("You don't have cable? Well, *I* don't even own a TV!!" - a battle of who has the least time/mental space to spare on such trivialities).