Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Philosophy

I have always been interested in philosophy. There was never any chance for me to get a formal training in philosophy. All my programs of study were too full for me to take a single course in it. So I'm a complete autodidact in this area. I follow the works of Alain Badiou, Zygmunt Bauman, Slavoj Žižek, Ernesto Laclau, Giorgio Agamben, and Terry Eagleton (whom I also consider a philosopher, irrespective of what anybody else might say.) This is what I do for fun, in case somebody thought I wasn't nerdy enough.

So the reason that I'm sharing all this is that there is a really interesting conference in philosophy that is being planned in Canada. I'm dying to give a talk there because the topic is right up my alley. I'm so interested in going to that conference that I wouldn't even mind paying for the trip myself (shhh, don't tell anybody at my university in case I do end up needing the funding to go.) However, I don't think that if I submit a proposal it will be accepted because I'm not a philosopher but a literary critic. Which will be unfair because I could contribute a different perspective on things.

Just wanted to share.

6 comments:

V said...

Try anyway!

Clarissa said...

Thank you for the encouragement!

feMOMhist said...

was juust reading Slavoj Žižek on Bulter today :0 Go for it. what have you go to lose?

Anonymous said...

Go for it.

Clarissa said...

Thank you, people! You are nice, kind people.

Shedding Khawatir said...

I agree that you should apply anyway, as there's nothing to lose, especially when you don't think you'll be accepted in the first place. One reason I like reading academic blogs is that it lets me learn something about fields I can't take courses in (like say, Spanish literature ;-)). It would be interesting if you did a post on your self-learning of philosophy or another field.