Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ricardian: A Review of Elizabeth George's "I, Richard"


Elizabeth George's collection of short stories I, Richard hasn't been received very well even by her hardcore fans. The reason for what I believe is an unfair rejection of this collection is the disappointing first story titled "Exposure." If you decide to read I, Richard, I suggest you skip this story altogether and enjoy the rest of the collection.

Only the very last story, "I, Richard" belongs to the genre of Ricardian Apology. George wrote this story to make her Ricardian allegiances known to her fans. Of course, as a mystery writer, she couldn't fail to structure this story as a modern-day murder mystery that is inspired by one of the character's belief in Richard's innocence. 

George is different from many Ricardians in that she does not blame Henry Tudor for killing the young princes. This writer makes us question why we always assume that history was made by men. She allows a woman (of course, I will not spoil your reading pleasure by telling you her name) to become a protagonist of the story. Both the mystery of the princes' murder and the modern-day mystery that frames them are based on the idea that dismissing female protagonism is a big mistake. George reminds us that women make history as much as men do. Those men who try to treat women as objects with no will of their own always end up paying a very high price for this delusion.

4 comments:

Pagan Topologist said...

I do not have anything cogent to offer here, except to say: Keep up the Ricardian posts.

Clarissa said...

Thank you, friend! You are always so encouraging and I'm grateful for that.

el said...

There are books for children about Richard too:
http://librariansbookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/12/book-review-sent-by-margaret-peterson.html

Clarissa said...

Wow! Thank you, my friend, I had no idea. I'm extremely grateful for this link.