Sunday, January 16, 2011

Special Place

I'm sure that I'm not the only person who uses the "special place" strategy to avoid losing important objects and papers. "This is a crucial document (object)," I always think. "Let me store it in a special place so that it doesn't get lost."

The only problem with this approach is that I always forget where the special place is located. All I remember is that the special place is really special and that makes it even more difficult to find. This is done on purpose. I always think that if I choose some really outlandish location for the special place, then I will definitely never forget where it is. Its very outlandishness, however, is the reason why I forget it completely.

I have no doubt that if I were finally to locate the special place, it would contain literally scores of really great and important things. Of course, this is all just guessing on my part because I've never been able to find it.

3 comments:

Pagan Topologist said...

Yes, I do exactly the same thing. Although the special place is different objects, so the distribution is more diffuse. It does sometimes work. When I put my car keys into the refrigerator, I never forget that they are there.

Pagan Topologist said...

Sorry...should be 'is different for different objects'

Clarissa said...

I'm so desperate for these papers I need right now and that I stored in the special place that I went and looked in the refrigerator. They aren't there, though.

I have absolutely no doubt that I will find them exactly at 4:01 pm on Friday because that's exactly when I won't need them any more.