Sunday, May 15, 2011

Copyrighting Blog Photos

What I find very weird is that many people go to the trouble of posting angry warnings that all photos on their personal blogs are copyrighted and shouldn't be used without the owner's permission. I'm not talking about any kind of artwork here. Just regular, completely unprofessional photos everybody snaps on a daily basis. I don't know what possesses people to feel so protective about stuff that they choose to post online. 

As for me, if I post a photo on my blog, this means that I want people to use it. If somebody finds my clumsy pictures useful for any purpose, that's great, I'm happy. Free exchange of information is the best thing about the Internet. 

2 comments:

J. said...

Agreed.

I do kind of think it's a courteous thing, though, to at least when you post a picture include a link to where you got it from...sort of Good Blog Karma, you know?

On the other hand, having a hissy fit when someone doesn't, is also not very good blog karma. :-)
--J.

karnak said...

Personally, I wouldn't mind people using my work that I've put up on the internet as long as they don't make money off it and I don't. I know of professional magazines and newspapers using stuff from blogs and they make money off it. If my work is used commercially, I want a share.